Club news (archived January 2019)

Fashion Show 2017

Hi everyone. Firstly a huge thank you for supporting Hayfield Cricket Club Fashion Show Fundraising Event. Sarah from SOS is a very dear old friend who came up with this idea, with me, to help us raise much-needed funds to support our wonderful cricket club and their junior cricketers. Well...drum roll...we are really proud to announce that we have raised £694 profit from the event and look forward to holding another one later in the this space. We could not do it without your generosity, whether creating amazing posters and tickets, modelling, helping set up, bring chairs back and forth, shopping for the fizz, picking up and taking back glasses, washing glasses, serving on the bar, sourcing raffle prizes, donating prizes, selling raffle tickets, compiling music tracks, singing beautifully all evening as well as modelling (Laura you know who you are), cleaning and getting the club pavilion back to normal and...soaking your aching feet! Everyone of you are truly wonderful friends of Hayfield Cricket Club and we thank you. Please continue to give us your support!
Christine, Helen and Sue

Women's World Cup 2017

The Women's World Cup cricket tournament is coming to Derby in June/July 2017. See poster for more details.

Match reports

1st XI v Compstall (h) Sat 17th August

Match abandoned due to rain
Hayfield 133 all out (10 pts)
Compstall 45 for 2 (12 pts)

After a murky start to the morning and showers in the air, one heavy downpour delayed the start of this fixture until 2pm and as a consequence the game was reduced to 40 overs.

Hayfield batted first and openers Duckworth and Furness were obdurate in their defence against an accurate, tight bowling display from the visitors. Progress was slow and the opening pair managed a meagre 28 from the first 14 overs. Shane Furness was the first to be dismissed by Markowicz, lbw for 7.

New batsman Gareth Davies looked assured at the crease, as usual, but was caught out, mistiming a drive to mid-off, from the sticky end of the wicket, for 10. This prompted the arrival of the imperious Evans who immediately increased the run rate and with some elegant strokeplay quickly reached 27, scoring an impressive 22 off just one over. He then (to the perplexity of his team-mates) proceeded to sky one to mid-off which was spectacularly dropped, only to be caught soon after with another lofted effort to long off. A pity as he looked set.

Duckworth followed soon afterward with a similar dismissal to Davies being caught at mid-off, his long innings coming to an end for 23.

Higginbottom was next in and after some good strokes, noticeably a straight drive for 4, Markowicz found the edge and he was out caught behind. George Wood played some big shots including one six and looked comfortable but was adjudged out lbw by the umpire who took an age to raise his finger.

Kirton came to the middle next and he too looked comfortable against the Compstall attack but after a good clip through mid wicket for 4, he played all round a straight delivery and was bowled by Clarke for 6.

Captain Julian Burgess played with purpose from the off and kept Hayfield in the game with a quick fire 27 not out, but unfortunately ran out of partners and Hayfield were all out for 133.

The Compstall bowling was impressive both from Markowicz and Clarke whose figures were 5 for 62 and 5 for 58 respectively, these two were backed up gamely by the inexpensive Higginbotham, 0 for 22.

The visitors had managed 45 for 2 off 10 overs when the game was abandoned due to rain.

Let’s hope for some better weather next week away at Broadbottom.

1st XI v Mottram (h) Sat 3 August

Lost by 63 runs
Mottram 166–8 (18 pts)
Hayfield 103 all out (5 pts)

After heavy mid-morning rain, Hayfield's efforts to stage a game of cricket proved fruitless as they slumped to yet another disappointing loss, this time at the hands of Mottram who surely would not have left with the spoils had Hayfield had anything like a full complement of players to choose from.

Mottram won the toss and elected to bat first in a game reduced to 36 overs per side. However, tight early bowing from Gareth Davies and Josh Unsworth kept the run-scoring to a minimum and it was Davies who made early breakthroughs with Hilton, Tongue and Metcalfe all perishing to the man with the large hats.

Mottram staged a fightback with Fitton and Irons putting bat to ball, the former hitting three maximums in a run-a-ball 37. However, Davies was having a field day and continued his wicket spree by ripping up the Mottram middle order as they stumbled to 103–7 with Davies taking all the wickets.

Meanwhile Unsworth toiled away from the Royal end and eventually broke his duck courtesy of a catch to veteran keeper Steve Shaw who, in his first league outing for two years, put in a near-faultless performance in taking three catches standing up to the seamers and was probably unlucky not to have collected a couple of leg-side stumpings as well.

At 121–8, Mottram looked to be down and out but an undefeated stand of 45 for the ninth wicket between Broscombe and Burke gave their side cause for optimism at the tea interval. While the pair undeniably played well, Hayfield's commitment and desire faded towards the end of the innings and they will have been disappointed to have not wrapped up Mottram's innings for less than 140. Nevertheless, Davies' effort was superb and he finished with 7–93 off 18 overs.

Still, 167 to win in 36 overs.... No problem? Far from it. Jon Duckworth fell first ball, Davies fell for two courtesy of an assist by Burke to Tongue at mid-off and Burgess, having hit five boundaries in making twenty, departed to Scott. Wood and Unsworth made just three between them as the hosts melted to 33–5.

Things would have been worse had Aldridge been pouched in the gully first ball but he went on to smash Scott out of the attack as he dominated a stand of 54 with Owen Kirton. However, shortly after the drinks break, he found deep point off a Broscombe long hop to end his innings at 43. Hayfield's faint hopes of victory lay with Kirton and Shaw but from 98–6 the innings fell away to 103 all out as Burke mopped up the tail to complete a fine individual performance in adding 6–36 to his undefeated 32 runs in Mottram's innings.

Four defeats on the bounce for the villagers who will be looking to return to winning ways at Hazel Grove next week.

1st XI v Dove Holes (a) Sat 27 July

Lost by 2 wickets
Hayfield 222 all out (9 pts)
Dove Holes 224–8 (20 pts)

An under-strength Hayfield side travelled to Dove Holes as much in hope as in expectation but managed to scrap hard enough to almost secure victory in what turned out to be another decent game of cricket.

With both Captain and Vice-Captain on holiday, Shane Furness stood in to lead a side that included a sprinkling of second-team players and a notable retiree who was no doubt all smiles when he received the late call to play.

Joe Gregory won the toss and sent his guests into bat on a wicket that was remarkably green given the recent dry spell. Furness opened with Owen Kirton but both were out with the score on 18 — a disappointing start. But stand of 59 between Ben Higginbottom and Gareth Davies steadied the ship until Higginbottom departed for 34 when he skied a return catch to Flint having looked in no trouble.

Hayfield's innings was blighted by a lack of a substantial partnership and the cause was not helped by the run out of in-form George Wood for just 10. Davies and Dave Aldridge put on nearly 40 for the fifth wicket before the latter fell to the first ball of Critchlow's second spell, top edging a pull shot to deep square leg.

Josh Unsworth joined Davies in adding 42 for the next wicket before Davies was adjudged LBW for a fine 60. Fortunately, Unsworth was able to pick up the baton in making 47 to help his side to maximum batting points and to a healthy score of 222 which one felt would have been enough to secure victory.

Hayfield's efforts to defend their total proved disappointing. Dove got off to a flying start with Jones (D) and Critchlow (A) finding early boundaries to post 31 inside five overs. However, Jones flailed at Davies and succeeded only in finding Aldridge at third man.

Jack Gregory joined Critchlow and both looked in good touch as they took the score to 58 before a needless run out sent Gregory on his way. And when Jim Adamson dismissed Cartledge (S) courtesy of a leaping (?) one-handed catch from Aldridge things looked good for the villagers.

However, from then on Gregory took command. He and Tom Forder hit the ball hard in adding 76 before Forder was bowled by Higginbottom for 27. But there was no let-up in the tempo of the innings as Joe Gregory smashed a quick 24 before skying Unsworth to Furness at cover.

Jack Gregory had played a superb knock but gave a chance via a steepling drive to mid-off but Aldridge failed to judge it sufficiently well and a tough but crucial chance went begging. Gregory added 25 more important runs until he lost his middle stump to Unsworth for 85.

Hayfield sensed a wobble and when Cartledge (D) and Jones (K) fell to Davies and Unsworth respectively Hayfield were possibly favourites. However, victory was not to be as the experienced Jones (R), having played and missed early on, put bat to ball to secure a tense win for the home team.

1st XI v Hawk Green (a) Sun 21 July (Bissenden Cup Semi-Final)

Lost by 8 wickets
Hayfield 199–6
Hawk Green 201–2

Last season, Hayfield travelled to the Green and cantered to the Bissenden final in an emphatic eight-wicket win on their way to cup glory. This year the game resulted in an even more conclusive victory, but this time it was the hosts who took the spoils as Sam Messih demonstrated just why he is currently the best and most destructive batsman in the league.

Hayfield batted first on a good deck and made a decent start against the new ball attack of Mike Hudson and Pete Richards. However, a canny piece of captaincy from Paul Needham saw the Green spinners introduced early to prevent Shane Furness and Jon Duckworth getting a foothold in the game. The move worked as Hayfield scored just 39 runs in the 16 overs of slow bowling from Mark Richards and Elliott Young, during which time three wickets fell; Furness was bowled by Young for 10 and Duckworth and Ben Higginbottom perished to Richards for 26 and a single respectively as the score limped to 52–3 at the half-time drinks break.

In hindsight, this slow start probably cost Hayfield the game on one of the more prolific run-scoring grounds in the league. But that would also be detracting from the excellent slow bowling of Young and Richards. The fact that Hayfield went on to score at over seven runs per over in the second half of the innings was down to a decent knock of 40 from Gareth Davies and a belligerent 71 not out from George Wood who is having his best season yet with the bat.

However, the feeling around the ground was that Hayfield were at least forty runs short of a par total, and so it proved. Despite a superb caught and bowled from Gareth Davies to dismiss Justin Blackhurst for 11 and the fortunate dismissal of Pete Richards off a full toss from the first ball of David Platt's one and only over, Hayfield had no answer to Sam Messih. In truth, Hayfield did not bowl well but Messih's innings lit up a muggy day as he plundered his way to a century before the halfway mark, at which point the score was on 162–2, a mere 110 runs ahead of the villagers at the same stage. A drinks break at this juncture was one of the more pointless affairs; an act of protocol rather than necessity as Green's victory came just 2.2 overs later with Messih finishing on a staggering 129 not out. Jordan Henderson, and it's not often we say this, played very much second fiddle with a comparatively sedate 37 not out.

Congratulations to Hawk Green who will now play Tintwistle, who overcame Division 2 side High Lane, in the final.

1st XI v Dinting (h) Sat 20 July

Lost by 3 wickets
Hayfield 168 all out (6 pts)
Dinting 169–7 (19 pts)

While not even the wildest Hayfield optimist would have thought that a victory against Dinting would lead to a late assault on the title race, it is always good to put one over on the best team in the league and give cause for optimism in seasons to come. Unfortunately, victory was not to be, but it took an undefeated eighth-wicket partnership of 38 to deny Hayfield in a low-scoring but ultimately enthralling game of cricket.

Julian Burgess won the toss and chose to bat first against the DCCL champions and leaders. Shane Furness and Jon Duckworth squared up to the usual Dinting opening bowlers, Messrs Coleman and Seville. Coleman looked to be bowling at a brisk pace but received little help from the pitch as the Hayfield batsmen made serene progress to 60 inside twenty overs. While scoring was steady, the lack of wickets meant that a sizeable score looked possible. However, Coleman was close to the end of his spell when Furness drove to Seville and was followed back to the pavilion immediately by Davies who cut to gully where Harwick took a nonchalant catch.

Dinting skipper Danny Brightmore had replaced Seville from the Royal end and bowled tightly with his first 7 overs costing just 10 runs. This put pressure on the Hayfield middle order and he quest for quicker runs resulted in wickets falling. Coleman had bowled 13 overs from the playground end in the stifling heat and finally yielded to Harwick after taking 2–52. Unfortunately, the Hayfield batsmen succumbed to the veteran's medium pacers as he and Brightmore turned the screw as the runs dried up and the wickets tumbled. Harwick's 8-over spell produced 5–25 and Brightmore bowled 15 unchanged overs to take 3–66. The fact that Hayfield made it past 160 was solely thanks to the efforts of Duckworth, who made a valiant 89. However, Furness aside, no-one else reached twenty to leave the visitors taking tea in a confident mood.

With a disappointing batting effort to forget, Gareth Davies was determined to make amends and in an inspired opening salvo, he almost single-handedly derailed the Dinting innings. He accounted for openers Wilson and Harwick, as well as number four Tom George, in his first two overs to leave the shell-shocked league leaders at 10–3. Things would have looked even more depressing for Dinting as Glen Draper drove in the air to mid-on where the chance went begging. Sadly, Draper made Hayfield pay in a robust 27 which proved valuable in the context of the game.

Meanwhile, Brightmore had played himself in and looked in fine touch as Dinting played their way back in the game. Although Draper drilled Ben Higginbottom into the safe hands of Burgess at mid-off, Brightmore and Gaz Gerrard put on 71 runs for the fifth wicket to make Dinting firm favourites.

However, the unnecessary run out of Brightmore, followed by the first-ball dismissal of Wollason, gave Hayfield hope and when Gerrard mistimed a Platt long hop to Higginbottom, Dinting were teetering on 131–7. How a game of cricket can change.

But that was to be Hayfield's last success. Former Hayfielder Jared Massey looked untroubled and found a staunch ally in his number nine, Seville. In truth, Seville would probably bat in the top order for most DCCL sides and he and Massey played fine innings to see his side safely home to consolidate the Dinting lead at the top of the table. A great game but Hayfield will be disappointed at opportunities missed to beat a side that doesn't lose often.

1st XI v Birch Vale (h) Sat 13 July

Won by 102 runs
Hayfield 253–8 (20 pts)
Birch Vale 151 all out (7 pts)

When Hayfield win against their arch-rivals it is normally in a close game, and so it was therefore perhaps a relief to be on the right side of a one-sided game on a glorious July day in front of a large crowd.

Julian Burgess won the toss and took first knock in good batting conditions but was probably disappointed to see Jon Duckworth return to the pavilion for just 10 runs and soon followed by Shane Furness for 18 with the score reading 56.

However, a century partnership between Gareth Davies and Russell Evans swung the game back in their side's favour, this despite a tight opening spell from Rick Johnson whose 11 overs cost just 23 runs. Birch's change bowlers were unable to maintain control as runs came thick and fast. Dan Bradshaw provided some zip off the pitch to cause a few problems but it was a bad call that momentarily took the wind out of the home side's sails as Davies was run out for a fine 62.

Although Julian Burgess fell first ball to Bradshaw, Evans pressed on and perhaps was unlucky not to make a deserved century when he was pouched by Steve Burns off Bradshaw for a typically aggressive 93. George Wood, Dave Aldridge, Jon Spencer and Josh Unsworth all chipped in with double figure scores to take Hayfield to 253–8 after their allotted 45 overs. Dan Bradshaw took 4–91 for the visitors and, along with Johnson, looked the most potent of the bowlers.

The Birch reply started promisingly with Judd Leyland and Lloyd Kennedy playing some expansive shots in putting on 46 for the first wicket. However, Unsworth removed both openers when looking well set in the twenties. Nat Kennedy made 21 before being the first of Jimmy Adamson's six victims after having put on 39 with Johnson. At that point, a Birch victory was still possible but Johnson received little support down the order as Adamson proved too much for the visitors to handle. Birch subsided from 97–2 to 151 all out with Adamson taking 6–52 in a match-winning spell of bowling. Gareth Davies also contributed with a couple of wickets to help see his side to 20 more points before the visit of champions Dinting and the Sunday Bissenden semi-final against Hawk Green.

1st XI v New Mills (a) Sat 6th July

Won by 9 wickets
New Mills 117 all out (1 pt)
Hayfield 118–1 (20 pts)

Hayfield cruised to victory at near neighbours New Mills with a crushing 9-wicket victory that consolidates their position in the top half of the table while leaving the hosts struggling to avoid relegation.

There was no early sign of New Mills' capitulation as Mills and Streets put on 23 in a steady opening partnership. However, the dismissal of both openers by Gareth Davies started a collapse that saw eight wickets fall in 23 overs for just 45 runs.

Davies' excellent opening 9-over spell cost just 11 runs and this paved the way for Josh Unsworth, Jimmy Adamson and Ben Higginbottom to wipe up the New Mills innings for just 117. The total would have less but for a ninth-wicket partnership of 43 between R Dolan and Jamie Henderson that took the score from 68–8 into three figures. However, Unsworth returned to dismiss Dolan and last man Berryman to collect maximum bowling points. Unsworth finished with 3–41, Adamson 3–30 and now full-time seamer Higginbottom 2–29.

Hayfield's victory charge became more of a victory walk as openers Shane Furness and Jon Duckworth chipped their way to an efficient but unspectacular century partnership on a slow pitch. A ten-wicket win was denied by Duckworth's late dismissal for 51 but Furness' doughty 47 not out saw Hayfield home and to 20 very efficient points. If Germany did cricket, this is how they would do it....

U13 vs Hawk Green (h) Wed 3 July

Lost by 5 runs

Tonight I could be no prouder.

In the last scheduled game of the season we were up against the might of Hawk Green. Having seen a number of their team playing against our 2's on Saturday we all knew this might be a tough game, such is the talent they have in their ranks. When Hawk Green's opener dispatched Anthony Thorpe's first ball of the game for 6, we knew it would be a tough task! However two balls later we claimed the scalp of their No.2 courteous of a run-out by Isaac Young. Game on!

Tom Weston had the second over and bowled neatly to frustrate the opposition, who seemed intent on trying to hit out and slog almost every ball. With the opener and No.4 both retiring, Hawk Green raced to 77–2 with ten overs remaining. Some tight bowling from the whole team restricted Hawk Green to just 99–7 with overs up. A direct-hit run-out by Anthony and two catches as well helped the cause. Tight bowling and no misfields was critical, though, in a balanced team performance for the first half.

Volunteers were not forthcoming to partner Anthony for the start of our innings. Jacob Noakes, who had impressed away at Hazel Grove, was chosen and he was asked to bat as he did there — play the straight balls back and smack anything loose. But he wouldn't get a chance as he was run out in the first over trying to get on strike. Anthony followed soon and when Isaac was also out early on, all must've thought the game was over. Think again.

Harry Turnbull played some excellent shots in a majestic innings that was equalled when Thomas Weston joined him in the middle after Elliot Brownsword had been bowled by the opening bowler, who was fired up after thinking he'd had Isaac caught behind...Isaac would've walked, surely!?

Harry looked settled, seeing off the pace attack; along with Thomas they settled into a rhythm and slowly we began to accumulate runs. Harry was frustrated to be caught and bowled but his 15 runs were some of the best 15 runs I have seen scored all season....a real captain's innings.

Thomas fell on 21 when he was stumped on a ball that was narrowly a two-bounce no ball. When Jacob Noakes fell in almost a repeat of Thomas' wicket, we were effectively out of the game...or were we?

52–7 with 6 overs remaining. New batsmen at the crease Joseph Wyatt and Charlie Craig. Joseph set the tone with a four off his first ball and the pair set about reeling in the target. Their running had me holding my breath at times but they survived a number of run-out attempts by the skin of their teeth.

Going into the last over we had 83 runs and one wicket remaining. Joseph got a single, as did Charlie on the second ball. Joseph built the tension with a powerful four on the third ball. A swing and a miss fourth ball and Hawk Green thought it was over...but was it? Joseph duly lifted the fifth ball over covers for a maximum six runs! This took him to 29 runs and a forced retirement. Joe Brooks strode to the middle knowing he needed 5 to tie or a 6 to win. Hawk Green also knew this, and a slower delivery saw Charlie run out as he tried to tempt Hawk Green into overthrows.

What a team performance. So very proud of all involved. Those who didn't score with the bat contributed by bowling tightly. Our never say never spirit almost got us over the line. Given the quality of the opposition today and given their opening four batsmen also bowled the maximum 3 overs each unchanged showed how much they wanted the game today....and we came agonisingly close to snatching it from them. Yes they have talent, but we have belief and passion.

A neutral watching that game will have inevitably ended up willing the Hayfield side on despite us being underdogs for much of the game.

Well done everyone. Massive well done. A more rounded team performance and a moral victory in my book.


Anthony Thorpe 3 overs 1 wicket 17 runs
Thomas Weston 3 overs 1 wicket 14 runs
Elliot Brownsword 2 overs 0 wickets 15 runs
Harry Turnbull 2 overs 0 wickets 20 runs
Charlie Craig 2 overs 2 wickets 14 runs
Jacob Miller 2 overs 0 wickets 5 runs
Joe Brooks 2 overs 0 wickets 4 runs
Joseph Wyatt 2 overs 1 wicket 4 runs
Jacob Noakes 1 over 2 wickets 4 runs


Anthony Thorpe 0 bowled
Jacob Miller 0 run out
Isaac Young 1 bowled
Harry Turnbull 15 c & bowled
Elliot Brownsword 0 bowled
Thomas Weston 21 stumped
Jacob Miller 2 stumped
Joseph Wyatt 29 retired
Charlie Craig 16 run out
Joe Brooks 0 not out.

1st XI v Hadfield (a) Sun 30th June (Bissenden Cup Quarter-Final)

Won by 62 runs
Hayfield 209–4
Hadfield 147 all out

Holders Hayfield eased into the semi-finals of the Bissenden Cup with a comfortable victory at Hadfield. Hayfield's solid, but hardly spectacular, innings of 209 was built around a first-wicket partnership of 73 between Russ Evans and Jon Duckworth, the former contributing the majority of the runs in a feisty half-century stay at the crease.

Hadfield's bowling was tidy, with youngsters Ball, Squires and Doyle unfazed by the occasion in tidy spells that kept the scoring at just three an over for the first quarter of the innings. Spinner Doyle was perhaps most impressive in conceding just 18 runs from his six overs, which included the wicket of Duckworth for 18.

Evans fell immediately afterwards, bowled by the pacy Rick Tranter for 53. However, Gareth Davies and Ben Higginbottom steadied the ship and kept the runs flowing with some crisp boundaries and excellent running between the wickets to take the score to 148 before Davies fell to Jonny Tranter for 43. Despite losing Higginbottom for 38, captain Julian Burgess (29 not out) and Owen Kirton (13 not out) provided a late flourish to see Hayfield past 200 and a competitive total.

Hadfield's reply started well, Squires looking a promising talent with a flurry of early boundaries. However, opening partner Doyle perished early, bowled by Higginbottom in his first over. Squire's classy cameo was also ended by Higginbottom as the youngster attempted on overambitious shot to his obvious frustration and when Proctor dismissed Ball for just two, Hadfield were on a shaky 37–3.

Any hopes of a Hadfield upset were ended by Jimmy Adamson's dismissal of the Tranter brothers to leave the home side floundering on 77–5. There was some late resistance from the lower order but the last 20 overs were somewhat of an anticlimax as the players went through the motions of seeing the game to its inevitable conclusion. All the bowlers took wickets, including two apiece for Higginbottom, Adamson and Jason Ward, as Hadfield subsided to 147 earning Hayfield an away tie at Hawk Green in the semi-finals.

1st XI vs Hawk Green (a) Sat 29 June

Lost by 133 runs
Hawk Green 288–4 (20 pts)
Hayfield 155 all out (5 pts)

Hayfield's stop/start season continued with a heavy defeat at title-chasing Hawk Green, who will probably feel that they have finally done themselves justice against the villagers after a run of losses over the course of the previous seasons.

Green's victory was based purely on a huge opening stand between Sam Messih and Justin Blackhurst, who pummelled Hayfield's bowlers in a partnership of 170 in just 26 overs. The bowling was perhaps a little below par but it didn't detract from some spectacular batting as the pairing drove and pulled their way past 150, before Gareth Davies and Josh Unsworth managed to add some respectability with useful spells at the end to stem the home side's free scoring as the pitch dried and the bounce became increasingly uneven. Blackhurst 80 was a fine knock but Messih's 143 was an effortless display of strokeplay and power which laid the foundations for his side's win.

Whilst Hayfield would have felt relieved that they weren't chasing a score over 300, there had been enough life in the pitch during Green's final fifteen overs to suggest that 289 would be a monumental chase. And so it proved, despite a belligerent knock by stand-in opener Burgess who was the only Hayfield batsman to get to grips with the excellent Pete Richards and Lee Hallas. They tore the heart out of the top order, leaving the Green spinners to mop up the tail with many overs still remaining as Hayfield subsided to 155 all out.

The second half of the season begins next week with Hayfield hoping for more consistency to enhance their mid-table position.

U13s vs Hazel Grove (a) Wed 26 June

Won by 59 runs
Hayfield 108–6
Hazel Grove 49 all out

Another good win on their travels for Hayfield U13.

Batting first it was down to Anthony Thorpe and Isaac Young to get us off to a solid start. Some intelligent running, sensible batting from both did just that. Anthony retired on 26 to bring Harry Turnbull to the crease, but shortly after Isaac was bowled for a solid 10 runs. Izzy Pridmore joined Harry in the middle and the pair looked like they also would create a decent partnership; however, a mix-up and indecision left Harry no option but to unselfishly sacrifice his wicket and he was run out without scoring. Elliot Brownsword joined Izzy and they piled on the runs with a mix of Elliot's aggressive hitting and Izzy's cultured play. Elliot also fell to a run out after scoring a fine 18 runs. Thomas Weston was caught and bowled without adding to the total as he tried to lift one back over the bowler's head. This brought Charlie Craig to the crease and he batted with great maturity to score an important 10 runs before being caught trying to push the score further on. Jacob Noakes replaced him and also batted very sensibly with some fine stroke play to end 6no. Izzy was unfortunately bowled with the penultimate ball of the game for a majestic 18 runs, which left Joe Brooks to spank the last ball and end 1no.

Anthony Thorpe 26 retired
Isaac Young 10
Harry Turnbull 0
Izzy Pridmore 18
Elliot Brownsword 18
Thomas Weston 0
Charlie Craig 10
Jacob Noakes 6no
Joe Brooks 1no
Jacob Miller DNB

Total 108-6

Hazel Grove's openers strode to the crease looking in determined mood. With encouragement of 'same as last time' from the home crowd we were unsure what we might be up against. Anthony opened and claimed a wicket with his second ball and his second over was an unplayable wicket maiden earning him a well-deserved rest! Harry Turnbull opened from the pavilion end and also bowled well, and was unlucky to not get a scalp of his own in his two overs. Thomas Weston replaced Anthony and after a neat first opener was all set to claim a hat-trick, with his first two balls of his second over both dislodging the bails...however, the pressure got to him and the third ball was a wide! Elliot struggled a bit with his range tonight, possibly swinging it a little too much, and in doing so would finish wicketless. Joe Brooks bowled accurately as always, but would also finish his two overs without a wicket to his name. Jacob Miller having not batted was in determined form and was given three overs of spin that would result in him claiming a wicket in his second over. Jacob Noakes bowled possibly the two tightest overs, and was rewarded with one wicket and his pressure contributed to a runout. Charlie Craig finished things off from the pavilion end and he got a wicket thanks to a catch by the well-positioned Elliot Brownsword. With Isaac desperate to turn his arm over, he was denied as Izzy Pridmore bowled with pace to pressure the batters and thanks to some smart fielding the game ended with a runout.

Anthony 2 overs 2 wickets 5 runs
Harry 2 overs 0 wickets 11 runs
Thomas 2 overs 2 wickets 3 runs
Elliot 2 overs 0 wickets 8 runs
Joe 2 overs 0 wicket 6 runs
Jacob Miller 3 overs 1 wicket 5 runs
Jacob Noakes 2 overs 1 wicket 2 runs
Charlie 2 overs 1 wicket 2 runs
Izzy 2 overs 0 wicket 3 runs

2 runouts
Some great fielding with catches by Izzy, Jacob and Elliot.

Hazel Grove 49 all out

Great win, well done everyone. Hawk Green at home next good to have a good crowd watching.

1st XI vs Tintwistle (h) Sat 22 June

Won by 73 runs
Hayfield 287–4 (20 pts)
Tintwistle 214 all out (7 pts)

Hayfield secured a 20-point victory over high-flying Tintwistle side who simply had no answer to a huge score posted by the villagers thanks to a rock-solid 80 runs from Shane Furness and a barnstorming century from Russell Evans.

On a cool and cloudy day Hayfield batted first on a true pitch and made a sedate start with Furness and Jon Duckworth accumulating steadily against the Tintwistle seamers. With the innings built around Furness' solidity, wickets fell when the home side attempting to up the tempo. And when Evans came to the crease in the 32nd over, the scoreboard read 130–2. However, in a late-innings blitz, Evans smashed an outstanding undefeated 111 in just thirteen overs to take his side to a formidable 287–4.

Whilst Tintwistle made a positive start in reply, with skipper Knight making an excellent 75, they were never really in the game as four wickets from Jimmy Adamson derailed their chase. Matt Proctor also bowled a useful seven-over spell and took two wickets as Hayfield wrapped up the innings, and 20 deserved points, in dismissing the visitors for 214.

U13s vs Birch Vale (h) Wed 19 June

Won by 8 wickets

Another great result for Hayfield in a controlled game of cricket.

Anthony Thorpe opened the bowling from the Park end and claimed a wicket with his third delivery when he bowled the Birch opening batsman. Anthony completed a fine over and a wicket maiden. Elliot Brownsword had the first two overs from the Royal end and he claimed a wicket in his second over, bowling the No.3 batsman. Anthony was only given one over and replaced by Harry Howarth who bowled two tight overs of spin, his second a maiden.

Charlie Craig followed Elliot from the Royal end and he also bowled accurately and claimed a wicket with his second over when Elliot leapt full length high into the air to claim a catch. Elliot did especially well to hold the catch given the height he came down from, it really was a fine catch.

Spin twin Jacob Miller replaced Harry from the Park end and was equally inexpensive from his two overs, and Joe Brooks bowled the next two overs from the Royal end and conceded few runs. Harry Turnbull bowled next from the Park end just as Birch decided they needed to push on a little and edged a few boundaries. Izzy Pridmore steamed in from the Royal end and her pace and accuracy deserved more off her two overs. Joseph Wyatt bowled from the Park end grabbed himself a wicket in his first over when Birch’s batsman played on.

Isaac Young, having swapped wicket-keeping duties with Anthony earlier in the game, bowled the final two overs from the Royal end and bowled very well as Birch went for one last push. It was left to Harry Howarth to finish things off from the Park end and opting for pace rather than spin.

Birch finished on 73-5 with one batsman reaching retirement score.

Anthony Thorpe – 1 over, 1 wicket, 0 runs
Elliot Brownsword – 2 overs, 1 wicket, 13 runs
Harry Howarth – 3 overs, 0 wicket, 6 runs
Charlie Craig – 2 overs, 1 wicket, 5 runs
Jacob Miller – 2 overs, 0 wicket, 7 runs
Joe Brooks – 2 overs, 1 wicket, 7 runs
Harry Turnbull – 2 overs, 0 wicket, 11 runs
Izzy Pridmore – 2 overs, 0 wicket, 8 runs
Joseph Wyatt – 2 overs, 1 wicket, 3 runs
Isaac Young – 2 overs, 0 wicket, 7 runs

Anthony Thorpe opened with Harry Howarth and both settled very early. Harry was unfortunately out just as he looked like he’d go on to score more. Izzy Pridmore joined Anthony and both would carry their bats past the retirement score with some excellent shot selections and running between the wickets. Jacob Miller came in at No.4 and was delighted to be not out and even more delighted to score his first boundary this season. Joe Brooks came in late on but couldn’t quite see us over the finishing line. Elliot Brownsword got the nod and his boundary saw us over the line and he’d finish not out also.

Anthony Thorpe – 25 (retired)
Harry Howarth – 4
Izzy Pridmore – 27 (retired)
Jacob Miller – 7 no
Joe Brooks – 1
Elliot Brownsword – 8 no

Another good team performance. Well done all.

U15s vs Buxworth (h) Mon 17 June

Buxworth 71
Hayfield 76 for 1

Hayfield had an easy win on Monday 17th. Jake Young spoiled the game by taking 3 wickets in the first 2 overs. Everyone had a bowl and performed well, the pick being Tom Weston with 2 wickets.

Chasing Buxworth’s 71 A Thorpe finished the game with a six to finish 35 not out. Simon Fraser 20 not out and Jake Young 14 completed the total of 76 for 1.

A much improved fielding performance especially Jacob (Road Runner) Miller.

1st XI vs Old Glossop (a) Sat 15 June

Lost by 122 runs
Old Glossop 217 all out (20 pts)
Hayfield 95 all out (5 pts)

Hayfield's up and down season found a new low with a thumping loss to an improved Old Glossop side whose victory keeps them hot on the heels of the DCCL leaders, while the villagers are now left in the ignominious position of mid-table obscurity as we approach the halfway point in the season.

Host skipper Matt Woodcock won the toss and took first knock on a surprisingly dry pitch considering the preceding days' inclement weather. However, he may have initially rued his decision as Gareth Davies found pace and lift in an excellent opening spell that saw him account for Jon Wright in just the third over of the game. Unfortunately, the cricketing gods were not on Hayfield's side as Davies beat the bat on several occasions without finding another edge as the OG batsmen struggled to get a foothold in the game.

Eyre and McGrail survived the early innings onslaught and, as the life in the pitch subsided, Eyre went on the offensive against Davies and, in particular, Josh Unsworth who struggled for a consistent line and length in his first spell. Although McGrail fell to Unsworth, the young OG opener and Woodcock looked in fine fettle as the score reached 100 after just 21 overs, with Eyre sailing past fifty with a string of powerful boundaries.

However, the ex-Flowery Field man completely lost his concentration after raising his bat and was bowled for 60 after trying a horrible slog against Davies who fully deserved his second wicket. Hayfield had been looking at chasing a score of over 250 until Eyre's demise and when Woodcock fell just after a short rain break, chipping Ben Higginbottom to mid-on, Hayfield were back in the game.

Unsworth replaced Davies from the park end and the OG innings wilted. Despite boundaries from some of the middle order, Unsworth and Higginbottom took six more wickets between them to end the home side's innings on 217 in the 44th over. Higginbottom finished with 4–48 and Unsworth with 4 for quite a few more than that. Davies was the best bowler on show but undoubtedly the unluckiest in perhaps his best spell of the season.

Hayfield would have been delighted with chasing only 218 on a reasonably good track on Old Glossop's small ground. However, the home side's trio of bowlers undermined Hayfield's run chase from the very outset. Matt Woodcock bowled an excellent spell from the park end and gave nothing away, assisted by some fine fielding. Rob Adderley was less impressive in his opening spell but was replaced by Declan Hall who bowled a superb line and length as Hayfield's innings stagnated. Dismissals were coming regularly through a combination of decent bowling, poor shots and bad luck (Ben Higginbottom's run out at the non-striker's end via a deflection from the bowler encapsulating Hayfield's dismal day) to the point where the scoreboard read 91–4 after 30 overs.

Any hopes of a late-innings flourish by the visitors was ended by Adderley who replaced Woodcock from the park end and bowled straight and full to mop up the middle order and tail to leave Hayfield on 95 all out and back to the Royal with heads held low. Only Jon Duckworth made any impact on the OG total and Julian Burgess' team will have to play much better against Tintwistle and Hawk Green if they are to come away with anything from their next two fixtures.

U13s vs Buxton (a) Wed 12 June

Won by 7 runs
Hayfield 104–5 (+2 retired)
Buxton 97–5 (+2 retired)

We travelled up to Buxton optimistically having been called at 5.30 to say it was raining and in doubt. In light drizzle we pushed off the covers and Anthony Thorpe and Harry Turnbull opened our innings. Buxton's opening bowlers were sharp and Harry was unfortunately out in the fourth over having valiantly defended but unable to score. Elliot Brownsword joined Anthony at the crease and these two steadily upped the run rate with some sensible batting to both carry their bats and retire on 28 and 25 respectively. Thomas Weston replaced Anthony and he scored an important 12 runs in steady fashion supporting one end before he was bowled by the returning opening bowler. Isaac Young played a timely swashbuckling innings to smash an impressive 14 before he was caught unselfishly trying to push on further. Runs were important now and Izzy Pridmore deserved much more but was run out by Buxton's smartest piece of fielding all game, when the umpire wrongly pressed Izzy into a second run that really wasn't there (sorry Izzy!!). Joe Brooks would finish 2 not out, as did Joseph Wyatt, and they sandwiched Charlie Craig who was out for a duck trying to smash the ball out of the park (under instruction!). So our innings ended on 104–5 with two retirements.

Hayden Brownsword, who made his debut as scorer, duly handed the pencil to his Mum for Mel to continue for the second half.

It was clear Buxton wanted to try and get this finished before any threat of rain returned. Anthony opened and following his neat first over the attack was taken to Harry Turnbull with 10 runs off his first over. Anthony bowled out his three and Harry, after recovering for his second over to take a wicket, was further punished in his third as Buxton raced on past the required run rate.

Izzy replaced Anthony from the pavilion end and delivered three quality overs, swinging the ball both ways and deservedly claiming a wicket in her final over courtesy of a great catch by Harry Turnbull. Buxton's opener and No.3 both retired and against the new batsmen Joe Brooks bowled a neat over; but with Buxton in danger of racing away a change of pace was required, and spin king Jacob Miller bowled two inexpensive overs to thwart the chase. Thomas Weston bowled two inexpensive overs and Isaac Young did the same from the town end.

With five overs to go Hayfield had dragged themselves back into the game. A neat run-out thanks to Elliot Brownsword put further pressure on Buxton and the pendulum began to swing the way of little old Hayfield.

Cometh the hour, cometh the two youngest players. Charlie Craig took responsibility to bowl the last two overs from the pavilion end and bowled neatly to restrict Buxton even further. Joseph Wyatt stepped up to bowl from the town end and in his first of two overs bowled a snorter to dismiss the dangerous No5 with a ball that pitched outside off and took the top of leg (prouddadtastic!!). Charlie had effectively won the game with his last over but there was still time for Joseph to claim another wicket in the last over thanks to a smart catch by Joe Brooks.


Anthony Thorpe 28 retired
Harry Turnbull 0
Elliot Brownsword 25 retired
Thomas Weston 12
Isaac Young 14
Izzy Pridmore 2
Joe Brooks 2no
Charlie Craig 0
Joseph Wyatt 2no
Jacob Miller DNB
Extras 19


Anthony Thorpe 3 overs 0 wickets for 4 runs
Harry Turnbull 3 overs 1 wickets for 29 runs
Izzy Pridmore 3 overs 1 wickets for 18 runs
Joe Brooks 1 overs 0 wickets for 6 runs
Jacob Miller 2 overs 0 wickets for 5 runs
Thomas Weston 2 overs 0 wickets for 5 runs
Isaac Young 2 overs 0 wickets for 7 runs
Charlie Craig 2 overs 0 wickets for 8 runs
Joseph Wyatt 2 overs 2 wickets for 6 runs
Catches — Joe Brooks and Harry Turnbull
Run out — Elliot Brownsword

Elliot kept wicket very well for half the innings and swapped with Anthony for the remainder and Anthony indeed took a neat caught behind off the bowling of Izzy, but the home umpire (who apologised afterwards) didn't give it as he said he didn't think it carried (all he had to do was ask?!). But hey ho, that's cricket — you lose some and win some — but winning away is so so sweet!

Well done to both sides: a thoroughly enjoyable game that had just about everything and had BetFred slashing odds throughout the game as the pendulum swung from one side to the other.

U13s vs Glossop (a) Mon 10 June

Lost by 29 runs
Glossop 111–5
Hayfield 82–6

Hayfield took a side made up of just four Year 7s, four Year 6s and three Year 5s up to a very flat batting wicket on the impressive Glossop CC ground.

Glossop elected to bat and Hayfield set about the opening pair with some tidy bowling from Anthony and Joe Brooks, and it was Joe who got the breakthrough with two wickets in his first over followed up by a third in his third over. Harry Howarth and Jacob Miller spun their magic but Glossop began to claw their way back into the game with some well-placed boundaries. Harry claimed an important wicket to momentarily halt the recovery, but Glossop importantly succeeded in getting two of their batters past the 30 and retirement stage. Joseph Wyatt bowled two overs as did the ever-impressive Sam Moss.

Glossop managed to sneak up to 111–5 but with 24 gifted to them in extras and a few misfields to boot it should've been a much lower total that Hayfield had to chase.

Opening with Anthony and Isaac Young, there was optimism in the camp, but when Issac was plumb LBW and then Jacob Miller unfortunately bowled next ball to one that never got up, Hayfield were up against it. Charlie Craig joined Anthony at the crease and the two kept up with the run rate with some good shots and good running. Anthony was bowled on 23 trying to accelerate to his retirement score and then soon after Charlie was bowled for 17 doing the same. Harry Howarth's first ball will have added to the bruises on his legs but he survived and was unlucky caught off a leading edge. Jacob Noakes played some lovely strokes but was frustrated to keep finding fielders as we fell dangerously behind the run rate required. After Jacob and Harry were out, Joe Brooks and Joseph Wyatt were left an impossible task, but once again they gave it their best and there was some great cricket played.

Sam Bickley, Hayden Brownsword and Sam Moss were eagerly netting on the boundary and warmed up with some short bowling from Cath Moss; however, all three would unfortunately not make it out to the square and Hayfield's innings drew a close on 82–6.


A Thorpe 16–1 off 4
J Brooks 19–3 off 4
J Wyatt 19–0 off 3
H Howarth 23–1 off 4
J Miller 17–0 off 4
S Moss 10–0 off 2
Extras 24 (2 No Balls, 15 wides, 7 byes)
Catches — Sam Bickley and Jacob Noakes.


A Thorpe 23
I Young 1
J Miller 0
C Craig 17
H Howarth 2
J Noakes 2
J Brooks 1 n/o
J Wyatt 5 n/o

Good effort lads against a well-organised and experienced Glossop side.

1st XI vs Charlesworth & Chisworth (h) Sun 9th June (Bissenden Cup 2nd Round)

Won by 7 wickets
Charlesworth 189 all out
Hayfield 191-3

Hayfield began their defence of the Bissenden Cup with a comfortable seven-wicket defeat of Second Division side Charlesworth who have been regular visitors to the village in this competition in recent years.

Charlesworth batted first and openers Gilham and youngster Partridge made steady progress against Ben Higginbottom and Josh Unsworth with 21 runs scored on the first eight overs. However, Gilham called his partner for a single but the smart money was always against Partridge making his ground before Higginbottom fielded the ball to Jon Duckworth whose turn it was to keep wicket this week. And so it proved and a disgruntled teenager had to leave the field though he was far too polite to castigate his senior partner for his poor call.

Number three Elliott provided some momentum to the innings with boundaries off Higginbottom and Jimmy Adamson in a robust 35. However, Matt Proctor replaced Adamson after a short spell and, despite struggling to find his length, found a perfect delivery to dismiss Elliott with the score on 82 after 22 overs. Five runs later Gilham departed after giving more credence to the saying the saying that you should never run on a misfield and when Whitney departed, adjudged LBW to David Platt for just four, the visitors were teetering on 97-4.

That Charlesworth set any sort of competitive total for their hosts was mainly thanks to experienced campaigner Wardle who smashed a quick 39 to take his side to 189. Unsworth (2-27) and Higginbottom (3-40) returned to clean up the tail. Whilst they shared the majority of the wickets, Platt and Proctor were both economical in their respective eight-over spells to ensure that the batsmen had a manageable task ahead of them.

After his previous day's heroics, Shane Furness looked in fine form again so it was a surprise and disappointment that he found an outside edge off the bowling of Evans after he and Duckworth had seen off the not insignificant threat of Littlewood and Povey who both bowled well in opening four-over salvos.

However, Duckworth was in no mood to be dominated as he made short work of the visitors' change bowling. Russ Evans looked in good form with an imperious six over midwicket off skipper Wood. However, the same bowler had his revenge when Evans clipped to midwicket to leave his side on a wobbly 66-2.

Duckworth was joined by Ben Higginbottom and, despite their varying expectations with regard to their running between the wickets, the pairing launched a vicious assault on the bowling in a stand of 115 in just 13 overs. Duckworth reached a majestic 81 when he sought to inflict more punishment on the visitors but instead miscued to Partridge at mid-off.

Higginbottom was just one short of a deserved half-century when he hit the winning runs to see Hayfield safely into the next round.

1st XI vs Broadbottom (h) Sat 8th June

b>Won by 9 wickets
Broadbottom 203 all out (5 pts)
Hayfield 207-1 (20 pts)

Hayfield scored an impressive maximum-point victory over high-flying Broadbottom to stay in touch with the leaders of the DCCL at a sun-drenched Hayfield in front of a large and enthusiastic crowd.

Broadbottom batted first and got off to an impressive start thanks to the prolific Aaron Walsh who looked to be the best batsman that the villagers had encountered to date. Despite losing opening partner Demidh, an early victim of a straight Josh Unsworth delivery, Walsh was in no mood to be tied down as he dominated a stand of 79 with Perrin who made just 24. But with the score reading 92-1 after just 15 overs, Jimmy Adamson, who had conceded 17 runs in his first eight deliveries from a rampaging Walsh, caused the Broadbottom opener to play one big shot too many, chipping to Unsworth at midwicket, to hand Hayfield a welcome fillip when heads were maybe just beginning to drop.

Walsh's dismissal proved to be a pivotal point in the innings, and probably the whole game, as the runs dried up for the visitors. Adamson showed admirable composure in putting his early mauling to the back of his mind as he and Unsworth pegged the run rate back. Unsworth cleaned up Perrin and Courtney fell to a brilliant piece of opportunism from Owen Kirton who threw down the stumps from backward point to make the Broadbottom number four rue his complacent running between the wickets.

Rowston at number five put bat to ball in scoring 37 but Adamson and Ben Higginbottom, a revelation in his back-up seamer roll this season, tied up the innings with Adamson finishing with 3-61 from 15 overs and Higginbottom helped wipe up the tail with 4-33 as Broadbottom's innings subsided to 203 all out.

Hayfield knew that chasing down the total would not be easy with Broadbottom's attack, spearheaded by the pacy Jay Riley, being one of the better bowling units in the league. However, Shane Furness and Jon Duckworth, promoted to open the innings ahead of Russ Evans, played watchfully in seeing out the first half of the innings without any real problems, although Riley was bowling a tight spell in conceding just 22 runs in his first dozen overs.

However, the bowling at the other end was less of a threat. Hayden Rotors conceded 57 runs at five an over in his spell and Riley received little more support as Rowson and Dooley were milked for five an over. Furness and Duckworth both reached half-centuries in their 126 opening partnership which ended when Duckworth, maybe in an untypical loss of concentration, tried to launch Dooley straight only to find the safe hands of Rotors at mid-off after reaching his first fifty for his new club.

With five an over required off the final fifteen overs, Russ Evans was in no mood to make it a tight game and raced to a quick 35 not out with Furness making a perfectly timed unbeaten 76 to see their side home with four overs to spare.

Hayfield travel to Old Glossop next week who are riding high in third place in the league.

U15s vs Dove Holes (a) Mon 3rd June


Lost to a more mature, stronger and older Dove Holes side.

Despite batting well, in particular Simon Fraser (30 not out), the score was less than enough due to poor running by Simon and Anthony Thorpe. The bowling again was reasonably good, but let down by poor ground fielding and too many byes.

In conclusion, a good performance let down by poor running between the wickets and poor fielding.

1st XI vs Compstall (a) Sat 1st June

Won by 92 runs
Hayfield 188–9 (19 pts)
Compstall 96 all out (4 pts)

Hayfield returned to winning ways with what will, on paper, look like a comfortable victory at old foes Compstall but which in fact was the product of a remarkable batting recovery sparked by a lower order revival that rescued the villagers from the ignominious position of 33–5 after 21 overs.

With the 1.30pm start time looming large, there were only eight Hayfield players at the Compstall 'Wok', forcing Julian Burgess to take first knock on a slow, dry pitch. With regular opener Shane Furness waiting at home for deliveries of a different kind, Jon Duckworth was promoted to open the innings with Russ Evans. Faced with a young but not inexperienced new-ball attack of Hegginbottom and Markowicz, Hayfield would have fancied posting a sizeable total. However, they didn't reckon on being tested by the best bowling combination that they have faced this season, with Markowitz in particular bowling a good length on a pitch with little pace or bounce.

Evans eventually went to drive a full ball from the Compstall left-armer only to snick to Hegginbottom Snr behind the wicket. Compstall's next success came courtesy of a slice of luck as Furness, batting at three after his late arrival, was adjudged to have made some contact with a rare legside Hegginbottom delivery straight into the keeper's gloves.

Gareth Davies and Duckworth sought to consolidate the innings but found runs difficult to come by. Chew replaced Hegginbottom after an excellent opening spell and soon induced Davies into an ugly heave to leave Hayfield reeling on 20–3. And when Markowicz accounted for Duckworth and then the hapless Dave Aldridge in three balls, few would have predicted a single batting point for the visitors.

However, Burgess steadied the ship in a 34-run partnership with Ben Higginbottom, who seemed to revel in his role as team fitness assistant with some challenging running between the wickets that went some way to reversing his captain's excesses during his week in Oxford.

Sadly for Burgess, the Compstall bowling changes seemed to be working as youngster Webb, bowling at a lively pace, found his way through his defences in his first over to leave Hayfield still in dire trouble. Higginbottom was joined by George Wood at 64–6 with Hayfield's hopes hanging by a thread. However, the Compstall victory charge was repelled and then derailed by the impressive lower-order batting. Wood, watchful at first, eventually opened his burly shoulders and began to play some expansive drives between long off and midwicket. Higginbottom was more orthodox but the pairing added a crucial forty runs before Higginbottom departed in Hegginbottom's first over of his second spell.

Any thoughts of Compstall wrapping up the Hayfield innings early were dashed by Wood, who continued his bludgeoning of the bowlers, and Josh Unsworth who continued his impressive batting form as the Scarborough friends took the game away from their hosts. Whatever they put in the Yorkshire water must have worked, as any misgivings from disgruntled team mates at their late arrival were washed away in a tsunami of boundaries as both batsmen reached fine fifties before departing late on to a floundering Compstall attack. In all, 112 runs came from the last 15 overs to leave the shell-shocked hosts wondering just how they had left their visitors wriggle free from such an impossible situation.

Compstall's reply began steadily with the ever-reliable Dave Bailey once again acting as the cornerstone for his side's batting. Runs were hard to come by, but after an early breakthrough by Josh Unsworth, an impasse ensued with Bailey and Hegginbottom Jr repelling any threat posed by Unsworth and Davies but without real scoring at any alarming rate. At the halfway point in the innings the score had only just passed 50, but with just the single wicket down. Bailey had just hit impressive boundaries off Unsworth, but the scoring rate required had exceeded five and a half runs per over with the home side finding runs equally hard to come by as the Hayfield top order had done earlier.

Jimmy Adamson was called on to replace Davies, who had completed a wicketless but ultimately miserly 12-over spell, and in the off spinner's first over came the pivotal moment in the game. Bailey called Hegginbottom for a single but misjudged his call, with Russ Evans collecting the ball and throwing down the stumps with a direct hit to end Bailey's stay at the wicket and, with it, Compstall's hopes of victory.

Following Bailey's demise, Adamson tore through the Compstall middle and lower order as eight wickets fell for 34 runs. Hayfield's premier slow bowler varied his pace in a spellbinding 8.2 overs in which he accounted for 6 wickets for just 12 runs. Equally impressive at the other end was Unsworth, who bowled 20 unchanged overs for just 47 runs. He should have four wickets but for a Laurel and Hardy moment between Aldridge and Davies, although this was possibly the only blip in an outstanding fielding performance. However, this just opened the door for Adamson to end the game at the other end to give Hayfield a much-needed 19-point win to take into next week's game at home to Broadbottom.

1st XI vs Hazel Grove (h) Sat 25th May

Lost by 33 runs
Hazel Grove 231–5 (20 pts)
Hayfield 198 all out (6 pts)

A dismal day and night before what appeared to be a routine fixture against basement side Hazel Grove only set the tone for what was probably Hayfield's worst home performance for many years.

Heavy rain in the days before the game had flooded the outfield and made the ground covers somewhat redundant as water seeped onto the playing surface putting the game in jeopardy. However, sterling work by the ground staff ensured play started on time though the wicket was soft to say the least. It was no surprise therefore that Julian Burgess inserted the visitors on winning yet another toss.

Disappointingly, Hayfield did not make use of what appeared to be favourable bowling conditions as the opening pairing of Josh Unsworth and Gareth Davies bowled loosely to allow Geoff Noden and new signing Andy Thurston to put their sign in a dominant position. Having said that the first dozen overs were average, the bowlers were let down by shoddy fielding and dropped catches, as well as being on the wrong end of some close LBW shouts.

Thurston and Noden both made half centuries in a century opening stand. Dave Aldridge had replaced Davies from the playground end but, perhaps maybe looking forward too early to his Snowdonia holiday, served up some veritable tripe to allow Thurston to progress from the twenties to the fifties in just two overs.

That Grove failed to make 250 was thanks to Josh Unsworth who upped his game to bowl through the innings from the Royal end and also Ben Higginbottom whose part time seamers may well be relied on more this season if this spell was anything to go by. Having being 130–1 after 25 overs, Hayfield will have been grateful to be set just 232 after the visitors failed to accelerate the innings in the final twenty. Nevertheless, a return of five wickets (including two run outs) was a disappointing return from the villagers for whom Chris South was perhaps the only other high point in a tidy exhibition of keeping in which he looked comfortable standing up to Unsworth and fully deserved his stumping to dismiss Thurston.

Hayfield got off to a flying start with Russ Evans hitting three sixes in the first over of the innings bowled by Andy Rodgers. However, he lost opening partner Shane Furness who faced just two balls; a sumptuous boundary off Ryan Hayward followed by an outside edge to Gibbs behind the wicket. Despite the early setback, Evans and Davies continued their momentum to take the score to 60–1 after nine overs. However, despite the early Evans onslaught, Hayward and Rodgers showed good temperament and skill and continued to pitch the ball up to the batsmen, bowling to a well set field. The runs began to dry up for Hayfield causing Evans to go aerial only to find the safe hands of Andy Oldfield at deep mid off.

Thereafter, Grove were firmly on top with Burgess and Aldridge departing quickly and when Davies was adjudged LBW the game was almost up for Hayfield, especially when Wood and Higginbottom followed after sprightly cameos.

That Hayfield got anywhere near the imposing Grove total was thanks to Owen Kirton and, in particular, Unsworth who gave their team some hope with a fifty partership which at least kept their visitors feeling as though they were still in the game. But Kirton was run out, South went cheaply leaving Unsworth to score an almost impossible forty runs off three overs. In a tremendous effort which saw him reach a brave fifty, he swung once too often, bowled by Rodgers to end the innings and deservedly give Grove their first victory of the season.

Hayfield's league season already looks in tatters and, whilst reinforcements are clearly needed to support Unsworth and Davies in the bowling department, the batsmen need to find some real form if this season is going to produce any meaningful success.

U13s v Dove Holes (h) Wed 22 May

Lost by 11 runs

We somehow conspired to throw this game away...and I take a portion of the blame for not noticing quite how far we had dropped behind the run rate before it was a bit too late.

We seemed to be in control early on and Dove Holes slowly set about building a total. Even with the two opening batters both retiring we looked like we would keep them to a score around 70. However some spirited batting by the last two pushed their total 89 with overs up.

Anthony 2 overs 1 maiden 1–0 wickets
Harry T 3 overs 0 maiden 8–0 wickets
Thomas 2 overs 0 maiden 11–0 wickets
Joe 2 overs 0 maiden 18–0 wickets
Izzy 2 overs 0 maiden 8–1 wicket
Harry H 3 overs 0 maiden 19–1 wicket
Jacob 2 overs 0 maiden 4–0 wickets
Elliot 2 overs 0 maiden 9–0 wickets
Charlie 2 overs 0 maiden 9–1 wickets
11 extras — how much would that come back to haunt us!?

Special note to Charlie for a great caught and bowled and Harry Howarth for a real hand-stinging attempt at a brave catch late on.

Anthony and Isaac opened up and played some majestic shots but all to fielders. Isaac was out bowled to Dove's best bowler without scoring which was a big blow to us. Harry joined Anthony and although they appeared to be scoring we began to get bogged down and fell dangerously behind the run rate. This forced them to push on and luckily Anthony was able to reach the 25 to retire but it came a bit too late. Harry was bowled for 7 when trying to push on. Izzy and Thomas batted well together but as Dove began to turn the screw we were now facing an uphill battle. Izzy was unselfishly run out for 6 and Thomas followed by the same fate for 7. Elliot swung the bat and was bowled giving it his all on the last ball for 10, leaving Jacob propping up his end on 2 not out. Our score was an agonisingly close 79 runs, just 11 short of victory...ouch! Dove generously gave us 22 extras towards our total.

Wake up call. Complacency all round — including me; we all need to understand where we could've saved those 11 runs or scored 11 runs more.

All that aside it was another good exciting game of cricket played in the right spirit (maybe a little too gently by me!?). We play cricket to enjoy it though — that is the main thing — but I can't forget how much I hate losing! Dare I say it...the better team lost, but beaten we were so congratulations to Dove.

Hope to see a lot more of you at training on Thursday this week: work to be done.

Massive thank you to Ben H for scoring, really appreciated.

U15s v Buxton (h) Mon 20 May


A good win despite a poor fielding effort in damp conditions. Jake Young and Simon Fraser were the pick of the bowlers despite the poor fielding; Jake and Isaac young were excellent. Buxton bowled well initially and Simon Fraser and Anthony Thorpe batted sensibly if slowly to set a good base which allowed the later batters, particularly Gregory Longson with 21, to secure a good win.

1st XI vs Mottram (a) Sat 18th May

Match abandoned
Mottram (7 pts)
Hayfield (7 pts)

Ground waterlogged.

1st XI vs Dove Holes (h) Sat 11th May

Won by 4 wkts
Dove Holes 190-6 (7 pts)
Hayfield 191-6 (18 pts)

Hayfield stopped their recent run of poor form with a victory over high-flying Dove Holes but it was far from a comfortable victory as heavy rain and a battling performance from the visitors threatened to scupper the villagers' victory quest.

After a Herculean effort to make the sodden outfield playable, the umpires and captains agreed to start at 3.30pm with a 28-over-per-side contest. Julian Burgess could make a comfortable living from predicting the outcome of a tossed coin, but it was visiting captain Jo Gregory who called incorrectly and Dove Holes were asked to bat first.

Hayfield opened with Gareth Davies and Dave Aldridge and the visitors made a slow start against some tight bowling; father and son combo R and D Jones struggled to put bat to ball, with just 29 runs coming off the first ten overs. It was Aldridge who made the first dent in the Dove batting when Jones senior skied to George Wood at long on.

However, Jones junior punished a tiring Aldridge who was pummelled for three sixes in his seventh over to make way for the medium pace of Ben Higginbottom who was playing his first game of the season. Initially, the move seemed to backfire as Jones continued his onslaught of boundaries with assistance from number three Jack Gregory. But Higginbottom's seven-over spell, whilst expensive, was characterised by finding wickets at key moments and and he clean-bowled Gregory for 22 and then Jones who made a punchy 63 inside twenty overs.

Thereafter, Adam Critchlow and Jo Gregory upped the tempo of the innings with seventy runs coming off the last six overs. A run out of Critchlow for a bruising 33 and the late wickets of Gregory, for 45, and Johnson failed to slow the scoring rate as the innings closed on 190-6 from their allocation of overs. Higginbottom finished with 4-56 from his seven overs but pick of the bowlers was Davies who didn't deserve to be wicketless after bowling unchanged from the pavilion end.

With tea saved until after the game, it was only ten minutes after the close of the Dove innings that Russell Evans and Jonny Spencer strode purposefully to the wicket to face the new-ball attack of Jones and S Critchlow. However, Jones started disastrously, with his first delivery being a no-ball full toss that was dispatched into the river by Evans. Further boundaries followed as Evans milked the the first over for 21.

Spencer tried to emulate his partner and was beginning to find the middle after some early fresh-air shots. However, Critchlow found a straight one that sent Spencer on his way for just 7 and Jones then found his revenge when he yorked Evans for 29.

Hayfield were struggling with the score on 39-2 but the early-innings blitz meant that they could afford a degree of consolidation. Jon Duckworth and Davies looked in good form as they put on forty to take the score to 79 just before the halfway mark before Duckworth failed to clear mid-off after successive boundaries off Jones.

Burgess joined Davies and they took the attack to Dove Holes in a 42-run partnership against the change bowling of Dave Cartledge and D Walker. However, despite having conceded 15 runs in his previous over, Cartledge bowled Burgess for 27 to throw the game wide open.

At this stage Hayfield needed 73 runs from 9 overs as Aldridge joined Davies in pursuit of victory. Aldridge played second fiddle to his partner who was particularly brutal on Walker. However, perhaps the game-changing moment came when Davies skied a pull shot to give Walker what appeared to be a simple caught-and-bowled chance but the chance was spilled in a swirling wind and Davies survived to spearhead his side's victory pursuit.

Aldridge perished for 21, bowled by Cartledge off the last ball of the 25th over, leaving the home side to score 27 off the last three overs. George Wood hit boundaries off the last two balls of the 26th over to keep his team in the hunt before he was run out off the first ball of the penultimate over. However, Higginbottom hit his first ball for four before getting Davies down to the other end to score successive boundaries to all but end the contest. With just three runs needed off the last over, Higginbottom and Davies had no problem in getting the three singles needed to guide Hayfield home for a much-needed 18 points.

Hayfield travel to Mottram next week hoping to gain their first away win of their 2013 campaign.

U13s vs Buxworth (h) Wed 8th May


Hayfield U13s notched up their second win in as many games, this time against Buxworth at home.

Buggy batting first, scoring 81 runs in their 20 overs for the loss of 5 wickets, with another 3 batters retiring after passing 25 runs.

Hayfield bowling:
Anthony Thorpe - 3 overs 2 wickets for 1 run (2 wicket maidens)
Jacob Miller - 3 overs 1 wicket for 14 runs
Joe Brooks - 2 overs 0 wickets for 9 runs
Charlie Craig - 2 overs 0 wickets for 14 runs
Harry Turnbull - 2 overs 0 wickets for 8 runs
Elliot Brownsword - 2 overs 0 wickets for 4 runs (1 maiden)
Alex Aitken - 2 overs 0 wickets for 10 runs
Joseph Wyatt - 2 overs 1 wicket for 16 runs (1 wicket maiden)
Jacob Noakes - 2 overs 0 wickets for 1 run (1 maiden)

Some marvellous bowling and some equally impressive fielding. Jacob was unlucky to be picked out in the field early on, but then settled himself really well with a great stop on the boundary when the ball flicked off Joe's boot. All wickets taken were bowled. Everyone bowled really well, as Buxworth looked to pile on the runs but were continually frustrated.

Please excuse this week's proud father inclusion...but special note to Joseph, whose first over got dispatched for 16 runs despite every ball being on target. Undeterred, he kept his head; he changed nothing and replied with a wicket maiden in his next over.

Batting was very good once again as Buggy bowled their strongest players from the start. Anthony and Isaac Young opened and both retired on 26 and 27 respectively. Harry Turnbull came in at three and batted well before being caught on 17. Elliot Brownsword hit a majestic boundary to finish 4 not out. Alex Aitken was unlucky to be bowled with only a few runs required, which allowed Jacob Noakes to the crease to hit the winning runs and finish 4 not out. With four balls remaining we allowed play to continue with the game won. Elliot was a gentleman and retired to enable Jacob Miller to the crease (at his third attempt) for the final four balls...but he was unable to get on strike!

Well done to all the lads involved today. Another good team performance.

U15s vs Birch Vale (h) Mon 6th May

Lost by 20 runs

The Under-16s lost against a much more experienced and bigger side. We bowled well, in particular Jake Young, very accurate, and Simon Frazer, both taking 2 early wickets. The other three bowlers were also successful, in particular Gregor Longson.

We lost the match by 20 runs due to some poor fielding costing 12 runs and 14 byes.

Our batting was poor, with Anthony Thorpe being run out for the second time in succession.

The feature was 11-year-old Isaac Young top-scoring with 11 against six-foot quick bowlers.

In conclusion, work is needed on fielding, wicket-keeping and running between the wickets.

U13s vs Chapel (a) Weds 1st May

Won by 1 run
Hayfield 73-3
Chapel 72-5

Hayfield U13s started their season with a great win away to a very experienced Chapel side. Hayfield were fielding just three Yr 8 players alongside five from Yr 7 and three from Yr 6, all however selected on merit.

Apologies for any minor inaccuracies, we had no scorer and so I had to copy Chapel’s book after the game. Whilst the stats might not add up the result was undeniable.

Hayfield opened the batting with Anthony Thorpe and Harry Howarth. Playing sensible cricket on a very green wicket Harry did what he was asked to shore up one end but was unlucky to lose his wicket to a full toss. Jacob Miller was brought to the crease; his job, as was Harry's, to protect one end and allow Anthony to score the team some runs. When Jacob was bowled in came the hard-hitting Isaac Young. He and Anthony now began to push the scoring along as Hayfield found some momentum. Anthony retired on 25 and then soon after Isaac was caught for 7 (although we all think that should've been more). This left Harry Turnbull (10 not out) and Elliot Brownsword (6 not out) to see Hayfield home with a score of 73-3 off their 20 overs. Some great sensible batting on show; maybe we need to push on a little earlier in future games but I am very pleased that both Harry and Jacob both did as they were asked, seeing off the pick of the Chapel bowling attack.

We were not entirely sure if this would be enough, but the team were sent back out to field in determined mood.

Anthony opened the bowling and his pace and accuracy kept Chapel contained. Jacob Miller opened from the other end and his spin dazzled the openers and they were unable to score freely. Thomas Weston bowled very accurately with a hint of swing claiming a wicket when he bowled the opener for 12. Charlie Craig who got the next wicket courtesy of a smart catch by Isaac Young behind the stumps. Joe Brooks and Elliot Brownsword did very well with their bowling as Chapel looked to push on. Joseph Wyatt then claimed the dangerous-looking No.2 bat and the scorebook reads ‘Caught O.Wyatt Bowled J.Wyatt’. Oliver Wyatt then strode up for his first over and with his first ball sent the No.4 bat back to the shed thanks to a good catch by Anthony.

Harry Turnbull and Harry Howarth both bowled very well, putting Hayfield into a comfortable position: with three overs remaining Chapel needed 15 runs to win. Anthony bowled well but some sloppy fielding edged Chapel closer to their target. Oliver calmed nerves with a crucial maiden. Up stepped spin king Jacob to bowl the last over. Chapel needed 6 runs. In the first four balls Chapel snuck added four runs and a run out was denied as the wicket was not claimed cleanly, all adding to the tension. Penultimate ball and Chapel set off on a run that was never there and Hayfield got their man courtesy of a run out. Last ball and Chapel needed 1 to tie and 2 to win. Jacob served up a delight and a dot ball was recorded to seal the win for Hayfield.

A great team performance by everyone involved.


Anthony Thorpe Retired 25 not out
Harry Howarth Bowled 0
Jacob Miller Bowled 1
Isaac Young Caught 7
Harry Turnbull Not out 10
Elliot Brownsword Not out 6
Tom Weston Did not bat
Charlie Craig Did not bat
Joe Brooks Did not bat
Joseph Wyatt Did not bat
Oliver Wyatt Did not bat
Jacob Noakes Reserve


Anthony Thorpe 3 overs 0 Wickets 1 run (& 1 catch)
Harry Howarth 1 overs 0 Wickets 1 run
Jacob Miller 3 overs 0 Wickets 3 runs
Isaac Young Wicket Keeper (1 catch, 1 runout)
Harry Turnbull 1 overs 0 Wickets 5 runs
Elliot Brownsword 1 overs 0 Wickets 7 runs
Tom Weston 3 overs 1 Wickets 3 runs
Charlie Craig 2 overs 1 Wickets 2 runs
Joe Brooks 1 overs 0 Wickets 11 runs
Joseph Wyatt 2 overs 1 Wickets 5 runs
Oliver Wyatt 2 overs 1 Wickets 0 runs

1st XI vs Dinting (a) Sat 4th May

Lost by 84 runs
Dinting 233-8 (20 pts)
Hayfield 149 all out (6 pts)

Hayfield slumped to a second successive away defeat, this time at the hands of champions and league leaders Dinting.

Julian Burgess won yet another toss and invited his hosts to bat first on a bright and breezy day in Glossop. Gareth Davies and Josh Unsworth again shared the new ball but found the initial going tough against Matt Coleman and Greg Harwick who was in particularly belligerent against anything pitched up to him, including a remarkable lofted six off Davies over cover into the car park.

The Dinting pairing rattled up fifty at five an over before Dave Aldridge, who had replaced Davies from the pavilion end, gained a fortunate LBW decision to dismiss Coleman who appeared to have got an edge on a delivery before it hit his pads.

However, Dinting skipper Danny Brightmore timed the ball from the outset as he and Harwick produced the day's best batting as they dominated the bowling in a run-a-ball half-century partnership to take their team in a commanding position. However, with Harwick looking well set for a century, he chopped a shortish Aldridge delivery onto his stumps to give Hayfield their first point.

Hayfield's limited attack was exposed by Brightmore as he saw off the modest threat of Aldridge with a flurry of straight boundaries as Dinting's score passed 160 at the thirty-over mark. Jonny Spencer bowled four respectable overs but made no dent in the strong batting line-up, who looked set to score close to 300.

That the home side only posted 233 was in no small part due to the return of Davies and Unsworth, who switched ends from their first spells to peg back Dinting. Brightmore had made a high-class half century before trying to heave Unsworth and was bowled and Davies removed Sam Elliott at the other end. Adam Wilson and Glen Draper hit boundaries but the late-innings flurry never materialised as the fall of wickets kept the run rate to around five an over. Safe catching and a spectacular run out from Burgess ensured that Hayfield had a decent chance of victory at the halfway stage. Despite conceding a century of runs in his 17 overs, Unsworth deserved his two wickets in a disciplined spell at the death and Davies ended with three wickets and was clearly the pick of the bowlers.

Hayfield's reply started well with Russ Evans and Shane Furness playing watchfully against John Coleman and Ped Sevill. Whilst the scoring was not as dominant as the start of the Dinting innings, a score of 40-0 after ten overs was an encouraging start.

However, the game changed with the introduction of Danny Brightmore who breached Furness' defences early in his spell. This slowed the scoring rate and when Evans missed a pull shot off the same bowler and Davies missed a straight Coleman delivery, Dinting had a firm control of the game with Hayfield floundering on 60-3.

Burgess and Jon Duckworth consolidated the innings, but when they looked to raise the run rate they frustratingly found fielders instead of gaps as the pressure mounted. With twenty overs left Hayfield still needed 164 runs and this became 144 off the last 15 when Burgess was bowled by left arm spinner Brian Thompson for 23.

Dave Aldridge lost Duckworth to Harwick's medium pacers but found some momentum with George Wood as some much needed boundaries to see the target reduced to 88 off the last eight overs. However, the high run rate proved too much. Wood edged the returning Coleman to Gaz Gerrard, Aldridge fell LBW to Harwick and Coleman ran through the tail to finish with 5-32 to leave Hayfield well short of their victory target and a single away from a third batting point.

Hayfield will hope to regain some form and much-needed confidence with a home game against Dove Holes next Saturday.

U17s vs Charlesworth (h) Mon 29th April

Won by 10 wkts
Charlesworth 94-3
Hayfield 95-0

Bowling O M R W
H Woods 5 0 17 0
M Greenwood 5 1 2 0
J Robinson 5 0 32 2
O Kirton 2 0 10 1
J Young 3 0 10 0

O Kirton 69 not out
J Coverley21 not out

U11s vs Whaley Bridge (a) Sun 28th April

Won by 54 runs
Hayfield 261-3 – total score 246
Whaley Bridge 232-8 – total score 192

A great win for Hayfield, as Whaley were the league and cup winners last year. Batting first, we accumulated runs consistently, with good batting performances from Charlie Craig (12), Jacob Noakes (8) and Jo Wyatt (7). A very pleasing aspect of the batting performance was the fact that five batters were not out and the fact that every single one of the 7 boundaries was hit along the ground.

The bowling was equally impressive. Once again we have a team of 7 bowlers, 6 of whom took wickets including 6 clean bowled. Highlights were Hayden Brownsword (3 for 2 off 2 overs), Jo Wyatt (1 for 1 off 3 overs) and Sam Moss (2 for 1 off two overs).

Finally, his first time behind the stumps, Jacob Noakes took a quick stumping and only let through 1 bye.

1st XI vs Birch Vale (a) Sat 27th April

Lost by 25 runs
Birch Vale 164-6 (18 points)
Hayfield 139 all out (5 points)

A dismal performance on a dismal day saw Hayfield lose to an under-strength Birch Vale team and with it their unbeaten start to the new season.

With an uncovered pitch having taken on water prior to the match, Julian Burgess inserted his hosts on a cold and breezy day. However, with the prospect of maybe batting second on a drying pitch, the decision was not an easy one and one which may have left him wishing that he had called incorrectly.

Vale's innings of 164-6 was built around an innings of impeccable technique from Tom McIlvenny who was the only batsman on show who really looked comfortable against the rising delivery that was a feature of the afternoon's play. Having lost opening partner Lloyd Kennedy, caught behind by stand-in keeper Burgess off Gareth Davies, Birch's skipper forged two crucial partnerships with Rick Johnson and Mike Walsh to see his side past 100 for the loss of just two wickets. However, while batting was not easy, Hayfield bowled far too many short balls, which were gratefully accepted by the Birch top four. The leg-side boundary tally made up too high a proportion of the runs, with the Hayfield bowlers seemingly unable to bowl a consistent length on a pitch that was providing plenty of assistance.

Johnson fell to Davies for 16, the only victim to the pull shot all day, George Wood taking a decent catch running backwards from square leg. Mike Walsh and McIlvenny provided the day's best batting in a watchful partnership of 70 before Unsworth returned to dismiss Walsh for an important 33.

Dave Aldridge bowled a tight few overs and perhaps should have had McIlvenny's wicket but saw a chance spilled at point before yielding to last week's hero, Jimmy Adamson, who again bowled a decent spell and was rewarded with the wicket of Birch's opener for 57. A run out and a stumping by Burgess off Josh ensured that the late innings push was kept to manageable levels, although 164 was well above par on a poor pitch.

Hayfield's innings started promisingly with Russell Evans and Shane Furness safely negotiating two distinctly lethargic opening overs from Phil Trueman and Rick Johnson. However, in the third over, a Trueman long hop kept low and pinned Evans in front of his stumps. And in the next over, a somewhat looser Johnson got a ball to rear up and find Davies' outside edge.

John Duckworth looked comfortable at the crease until he became Johnson's second victim, falling LBW for just 5 in his first innings for his new club, although there were suspicions of an inside edge before the ball struck his pads.

Burgess and Furness fought hard to repair the damage with a doughty stand of 40 to bring their side back into the game but when Burgess clubbed a Jack Linskey full toss straight to deep mid-wicket and Johnson produced another rising snorter to cause Furness to fend to short leg Vale were back in the driving seat with Hayfield floundering at 67-5.

Dave Aldridge smashed Linskey out of the attack with two straight sixes but Johnson was giving nothing away at the other end, producing frequent unplayable lifters to keep his side in charge. Occasional bowler Steve Burns was introduced to replace Linskey and kept Hayfield's batsmen thinking with some prodigious turn from his leg breaks.

Wood hit some lusty boundaries but miscued Johnson to mid-off and Unsworth fell first ball to another lifter from the same bowler. Aldridge did his best to rescue an almost impossible situation but when he was bowled by Burns for 24, the game was effectively over.

A brave late cameo from Jason Ward helped Hayfield to a second batting point but Johnson removed Owen Kirton and Jim Adamson was run out with Hayfield still 25 runs short of the Vale total. Johnson had bowled unchanged for 21 overs taking 6-32 (and his first eleven overs going for just six runs) and showing the Hayfield bowlers the value of knowing the right length to bowl on a helpful pitch.

Hayfield will hope to put a poor performance behind them when they travel to champions and new league leaders Dinting next week.

1st XI vs New Mills (h) Sat 20th April

Won by 9 wkts
New Mills 144 all out (2 pts)
Hayfield 147–1 (20 pts)

Hayfield's league campaign got off to a flying start with a comprehensive win over near neighbours New Mills on a glorious April Saturday afternoon.

With the hopefully only temporary loss of strike bowler David Platt, Hayfield's bowling options looked perhaps looking a little light and this was clearly in Julian Burgess' mind when he inserted the visitors on a placid-looking pitch.

Josh Unsworth and Gareth Davies shared the new ball and it was the latter who made an early double breakthrough by trapping Mills LBW for 15 and bowling Boardman for just a single as New Mills stuttered to 21-2. Darren Coverley and Cal Firth initiated a small recovery before skipper Firth fell LBW to Dave Aldridge who had replaced Davies from the playground end.

Palmer-Williams joined Coverley but was struggling to put bat to ball as Hayfield remained firmly in control. However, Coverley, with his team seemingly in dire straits, mixed sensible caution with some positive batting to haul the visitors past 100. Meanwhile, Palmer-Williams found some confidence and began to strike the ball cleanly to force Burgess to replace Aldridge with Jimmy Adamson.

It proved to be an inspired change, although it was in conjunction with some help from Unsworth who firstly induced a loose drive from Coverley for 68 to break a partnership of 71, and who then brilliantly took a one-handed catch to remove Palmer-Williams for 30 who looked aghast at the manner of his dismissal, a mistimed drive off a gentle Adamson full toss.

Thereafter, the New Mills innings capitulated. Adamson had made a nervous start, but gained confidence from his first wicket to bowl a magical seven-over spell in which he accounted for the last six wickets to fall. The visitors had collapsed from 125-3 to 144 all out, Hayfield's new off-spinning wizard finishing with 6-16. Encouragingly, Adamson was not afraid to give the ball some air and was rewarded with his best-ever 1st-XI figures.

During Hayfield's reply, the New Mills attack rarely threatened to cause any problems. Dave Ward beat the bat on a few occasions and Jamie Henderson bowled a lively spell but Russell 'Fosch' Evans and the newly helmeted Shane Furness (on such a benign pitch there was probably more of a threat from sunstroke than a ball on the bonce) stood firm and punished the bad ball. The pair took the score past 50 with little fuss and so it was perhaps a little surprising when Furness mistimed a drive off James Stevens to provide the visitors with a little optimism.

However, Gareth Davies made batting look very easy as he caressed a chanceless 44 to deny New Mills even a solitary bowling point as he and Evans put together an undefeated 90 partnership to see Hayfield to 20 points and top spot in the embryonic first division table. Evans was perhaps not as his spectacular best with the lack of pace both from the vistors' attack and in the pitch not to his liking, but still made a bullish 69 not out which augurs well for tougher games to come.

Sympathy though goes to New Mills who have been shorn of several key players during the closed season and who may well as a result struggle to emulate the success of previous seasons.

Hayfield's next game is away to even-nearer neighbours Birch Vale. The committee will apparently not accept any claims for travelling expenses for this game.

2012 match reports